Cities and SSE: policies and practices to transform the economy
Round table Meeting
Lyon, Hotel de Ville, 15:00 – 18:30 July 4th, 2019
Our communities of practice and social solidarity economic initiatives are multiplying and spreading all over Europe, in very different political and legal contexts. The challenges and difficulties we are facing today are related to global issues (such as climate change, forced migrations and financial crises), but find similar solutions in many territories, where localizing the economy and co-constructing public policies have become more than experimental practices.
Moreover, regions, cities and local authorities who are promoting SSE and a just transition are also starting to network more and more among each other, with new initiatives emerging every year. Networking among social economic actors and representatives of public institutions allows to exchange ideas and proposals and to work together.
We would like to develop a concrete and practical debate on how to inspire and learn from each other and develop municipal policies which are trans-local and “open sourced”, are transforming our communities allowing to change economic practices in many sectors such as food, energy, trade, transportation, housing, tourism, health, finance, etc.
This debate can also be a contribution to the World Social Forum of Transformative Economies and other forums and spaces where we can continue to foster and advance in the necessary change we are all engaged in promoting.
The Round table in Town hall style is organized by RIPESS Europe and hosted by the City of Lyon, which will be presenting the Label “Lyon, Ville équitable et durable” right after.
1st part : Transforming cities through SSE practices and public policies
- Dounia Besson, RTES and Deputy Mayor of the City of Lyon
- Jeanine Verna, Director of AROBASE Centre
- Julie Maisonhaute, Fair Trade Towns / Commerce Equitable France
Animated by : Drazen Simlesa, RIPESS Europe coordinator
2nd part : Transformative cities, right to the city and pact for transition
- Melissa Koutouzis, TNI (Trans National Institute) – Transformative Cities Award and Atlas of utopias
- Geneviève Brichet, Mouvement Utopia and Collectif pour une transition citoyenne : Pacte pour la transition
Animated by : Josette Combes, MES France
Closing : Convergences – an economy of liberation for a free humanity
- Geneviève Ancel, coordinator of Dialogues en Humanité
- Iris Avinoa, for the World Social Forum of Transformative Economies
- Elisabeth Voss, Netz – the diversity of SSE movements in Germany and beyond
- Jean Rossiaud, APRES-GE, from India to Geneva, the Jay Jagat initiative in 2020
Animated by : Jason Nardi, RIPESS Int. coordinator
This post is also available in / aussi en: French